Author Topic: FPA header install (in the car)  (Read 3115 times)

Offline VicD

• Newcomer
FPA header install (in the car)
« on: June 14, 2005, 02:01:11 pm »
Well I did it,
I managed to install a set of FPA tri-Y headers in my 428CJ 1969 Mach1 without removing the engine.
I took 6 weeks. I worked 8 hour days, either after work, on the weekends and over the holidays.....Not hours, not days, but weeks. But it can be done.

I have CJ heads and I used 14 bolts per side (the headers are bent so that you can not use 2 of the 16).

Tri-Y Headers by FPA (great workmanship)
Ceramic Coating By Thematec in VA
SCE copper gaskets
Stage 8 locking header bolts.

The original naration is very long so I decided to post my top 10 lessons learned.

10. If you have a 4 speed car you will need to cut the "tail" off of the engine Z-bar bracket and shave some material off of the clutch rod.
9. You will be tricked into thinking that you don't need to COMPLETELY remove motor mount from the engine, BUT YOU WILL, you can get to a certain point then you'll you'll be stuck, so just take it off early and reinstall it on the block after the headers are on.
8. On Mustangs with the factory shock tower lower brace, the top bolts on the #1 and #5 exhaust ports will hit the brace. You will need to modify the bolt, the header and the shock tower to get it to fit. Having learned this lesson on the drivers side, I modified the other header BEFORE I installed it.
7. Yes, you will have to drop the power steering out of the way, but the steering box can stay in place.
6. You WILL use more than on style of box wrench, made by a few different manufactures. If you cant get the wrench on the bolt after 15 minutes use another one, the next wrench may be a different enough to slip on. You will own a ratcheting box wrench and swivel sockets before you are finished.
5. You will not see what your doing over 75% of the time! Just keep thinking "16ths of a turn at a time will eventually get it tight", just be patient.
4. If you cant fit a socket in it now, raising the engine a few inches wont help. (see #6)
3. Don't tell your friends when you start the project, only tell them when your finished...that way they can't laugh at you 6 weeks later.
2. Magnets!
1. Just remove the engine and do it right.

I have more, but it made for a very long post. But I'll be happy to answer your questions!
VicD
icD
1969 and 2003 Mach 1

Anonymous

Re: FPA header install (in the car)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 11:49:05 am »
NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT QUESTION . HOW MANY 30 PACKS DID IT TAKE ?

Offline JaxGT500

• Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 02:31:40 pm »
STEP #6A)
 A bench grinder is a very useful tool when preforming this application.If you're tried every 7/16 wrench & still have no luck getting the wrench/s to Go where you need it to,go over to the Grinder with you worst or least used wrench & make a CUSTOM...Sometimes just nipping the end off a bit can be just the trick.Also shaving it can get you home too.
Long wobble end Extensions are advised :shock:
70 Shaker Mach PS.PB.FD seat,C-6 3:50's

70 Cougar Vert XR-7 351C Auto Loaded!

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 05:26:20 pm »
I admire your patience and persistence.  I would have been on to your #1 by the 2nd day of this adventure.

PS  I hope they don't leak :roll:
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline milner351

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:56:45 pm »
Well, I don't even have my engine yet, but, you've just convinced me that the CJ iron repop manifolds may just be the way to go! :shock:

Offline John

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
  • ARI Pace Car Conv
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 04:55:21 pm »
Quote from: "VicD"

5. You will not see what your doing over 75% of the time! VicD

More like 95% :roll:

Ask me how I know :idea:

John

Offline milner351

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 08:30:49 am »
would it be possible to install these headers on the engine, before installing it into the engine compartment.

Then install the transmission from underneath?

Offline rspscj

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:36:42 am »
I'm not sure about these brand of headers, but I did it that way on my friends '70 CJ, we installed hooker headers, on the engine, with the bell housing, starter, mounts, etc... It took about 2.5 hrs. but we got through it with only a small paint chip out of the shock tower. we then installed the 4 spd. from underneath. We had the luxury of an overhead crane/chain fall. and a load leveler, using serveral spotters.

RSPSCJ...

Offline milner351

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 10:40:32 am »
good to know.
I've always preferred to remove and install the engine from the top alone, and the trans from underneath.

I have a cherry picker, load leveller, and hoist, the problem maybe, enough spotters!

I'm looking into headers, FP tri-y sure look like they'd leave more room in the compartment compared to the hookers..... but do they sacrifice power?

Offline rspscj

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 11:51:12 am »
If you need a hand, PM me and we'll set something up. I'd be happy to help out.

RSPSCJ...

Offline milner351

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 08:04:02 am »
Thanks for the offer, we need to get together and check out Mark's stuff up in Brighton soon..... but I have a lot of fall chores to catch up on, and the last drag night is this Thursday at milan for the FME.

Offline 69428scj

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 05:30:50 pm »
Quote from: VicD
5. You will not see what your doing over 75% of the time! VicD

More like 95% :roll:

Ask me how I know :idea:

John

Sounds like the fun of changing plugs on a LT1 Trans Am.  Did this the other day, took me 2 hours and I still haven't bothered to do the last one (#4).  Not funny.  I have decided to sell it now and get a 5.0 mustang as a daily again.  Atleast when they go wrong (if they ever do) you can fix them without snapping off an arm to get to bits!

Thanks for this thread though, I will be installing the headers when I install the engine then!!!!
969 Fastback 428 SCJ 4.30:1 C6 in England