Author Topic: Dipping parts in black paint  (Read 4479 times)

Offline 69scj

• Shadetree Mechanic
Dipping parts in black paint
« on: June 22, 2006, 10:04:07 pm »
Some time ago I was reading a mag and they were talking about dipping parts in black paint. I'v done this for some time now but their method was quite different from mine. They fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and then add about an inch or so of black paint to the top. I tried it and I must say it worked great!! I have been working on some jack handles and instead of filling a 15 inch piece of PVC pipe with paint, I just fill it to my mark with water and then added about a half inch or so of paint. Dipped the handles in and out slowly and they came out fantastic!! This should make dipping large parts like control arms and such much easier and economical. Just be sure to use an oil based paint. Hope this tip can help someone out!!

Offline Jiffy

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Dipping parts in black paint
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 10:22:20 pm »
Great tip - needs to go into the restoration tips section of the registry...

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 06:43:18 am »
I've been playing with this too, but I can't seem to get the paint thinned out properly.  I am using plain old Rustoleum enamel in a can and thinning with acetone.  The thinner the better, but at some point it gets so thin that the part doesn't get fully coated (protected) before hitting the water.  What are you using and how are you thinning it??
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline Feex

• Old Hand
  • 9T02R118458
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 04:33:04 pm »
I'm thinking you're getting it too thin. You want a nice heavy coat on before it hits the water, then it will thin out as it drains off as you pull it out.
Ed Palmer
'70 Yellow Grabber (only fond memories, but just a mile away!)
'69 428 SCJ (pre-"Drag Pack"!!!!!) Gone but not forgotten!

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 06:07:57 pm »
My problem has been it does not drain fast enough, so I get thick paint and fat drips or drops hanging off the edge.  Of course, I am using Rustoleum from Lowe's so maybe I need to go for something a little higher tech!!
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline JaxGT500

• Fanatic!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 06:12:10 pm »
Quote from: "69scj"
Some time ago I was reading a mag and they were talking about dipping parts in black paint. I'v done this for some time now but their method was quite different from mine. They fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and then add about an inch or so of black paint to the top. I tried it and I must say it worked great!! I have been working on some jack handles and instead of filling a 15 inch piece of PVC pipe with paint, I just fill it to my mark with water and then added about a half inch or so of paint. Dipped the handles in and out slowly and they came out fantastic!! This should make dipping large parts like control arms and such much easier and economical. Just be sure to use an oil based paint. Hope this tip can help someone out!!

Would you post the exact mixtures & set up  you are using?
Thanks
70 Shaker Mach PS.PB.FD seat,C-6 3:50's

70 Cougar Vert XR-7 351C Auto Loaded!

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:32:56 pm »
What type of paints ate you using out of a can? Please elaborate. how about haging parts. spray a good coat of paint on them until your done. Then respray and make it heavy enough to create some runs. Wouldn't that duplicate it too? just wondering. Gary

1969 Mach1 R-code red 428SCJ 4 speed V-cod

Offline cjjeff

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 01:45:01 am »
Quote from: "shelbymann1970"
What type of paints ate you using out of a can? Please elaborate. how about haging parts. spray a good coat of paint on them until your done. Then respray and make it heavy enough to create some runs. Wouldn't that duplicate it too? just wondering. Gary

I have dipped some parts previously and I think part of the goal is to duplicate the thin factory paint on the dipped part. I think spraying two coats might defeat the purpose. The original parts I have seen were not perfect and often had thin spots along with the runs visible. I think I used some type of chassis black enamel I got at my paint shop. I will check my paint cabinet to see what I used.
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 07:31:54 am »
When I did my CJ Mach I dipped the lower control arms in our vat at work that had a conveyer system that ran control arms(new GMs) thru a tank and out with the paint dripping off to catch plates as they moved along. This was the old way and the method is quite different now.  About 10 years ago they changed to a new modern system where a fluid-looks like water -floating ON the paint so it takes off the excess before the control arm leaves the tank. The paint in the old school vat sure seemed thicker on the part doing it Gm's factory way like in the '60s that any rattle can I have sprayed on a part. Anyone else agree that a sprayed item is usually thinner than a dipped one? Unless that paint is really thinned out. I have a pair of NOS lower control arms I'll dig out and try to see how thick the paint is on them. Most of my sprayed parts have the bare minimum of paint on them for chipping reasons. Gary

Offline 69scj

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 10:26:05 pm »
One thing I've found that works good when your doing a chassis black finish is to first spray the part with a semi-gloss krylon and then dip it. Sometimes this will solve any air bubble problems that keeps the dipped paint from covering some hard to reach areas. However this is prolly not the "correct" way to do it but it works for me.

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 07:44:50 am »
One thing I've found that works good when your doing a chassis black finish is to first spray the part with a semi-gloss krylon and then dip it. Sometimes this will solve any air bubble problems that keeps the dipped paint from covering some hard to reach areas. However this is prolly not the "correct" way to do it but it works for me.

I have been "developing" my process and I also now will spray a part if it has a complicated shape to make sure I get 100% coverage.  I also  bought some real professional thinner to mix with my Rustoleum to get a homogenous thin mix.  Be sure to hang the part so the paint runs straight off and not "down" the length of the part or it might accumulate at the bottom before it drips off.  Works great!

I also had some that sat for 3 days or so (covered) and the paint on top started to dry/thicken.  Before I threw it out, I dipped a repro battery hold down clamp ('69) in it and it came out looking "NOS" with a thick layer of coating and some drips dangling.
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 02:43:10 pm »

I have been "developing" my process and I also now will spray a part if it has a complicated shape to make sure I get 100% coverage.  I also  bought some real professional thinner to mix with my Rustoleum to get a homogenous thin mix.  Be sure to hang the part so the paint runs straight off and not "down" the length of the part or it might accumulate at the bottom before it drips off.  Works great!

I also had some that sat for 3 days or so (covered) and the paint on top started to dry/thicken.  Before I threw it out, I dipped a repro battery hold down clamp ('69) in it and it came out looking "NOS" with a thick layer of coating and some drips dangling.
What rustolium? Is it a semi gloss black?You say the paint thickens after a few days staying on the top right? Assuming you mean in a covered container, right? If thats the case why don't you flip the container upside down in storage like you do with you 1 gallon house paint cans. That should solve the thickening problem for longer term storage. Gary
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:46:34 pm by shelbymann1970 »

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 03:29:34 pm »
Gary - I find that the dipped finish is glossier than you expect, so I mix gloss and flat to get a duller finish.  I did the control arms and coil springs for my '66 Mustang and used a big bucket with a lid that would not seal completely, so the layer of paint on top began to dry.  I usually just leave the lid off when I am done and periodically skim off the hardened top "skin" of paint until all I have left is water that I can dump out.
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 11:30:07 pm »
Ever try to stretch a thin piece of saran or plastic across the top and then put the lid on so it will last longer or doesn't that work? I must admit I do not go to those lengths because I was lucky in that when I worked at GM Powertrain in Warren we did control arms and I could wire my parts to the conveyor and run them thru the dipping process. The old process they changed in the 90s I would just go up the top and dip my parts in the vat and hang dry. Well that process they used to have it would drip paint off for a long ways down the line. The new system they had before I left I never did figure out. It looked like a vat of water or some solution and the paint was below it. The parts went into it and when they came out they were stripped of the excess paint. The arms were phosphated before paint but unfortunately the setup was a 24 hour phosphate-keep them from rusting before paint after the cleansing bath. Unfortunately the facility I work at now we do not do any painting-all sheet metal parts but they used to do chroming there and boy have I heard the stories on cars being "chromed" Gary

PS on another note for you multiple makes guys we are building some of the new Camaro dies at our facility. Roof is coming along and the coupe quarter panel dies are on our machines now. Easy to spot the quarters with that signature 3 grooves in the front rear quarters the 69 Camaros had for faux vents.

Offline J_Speegle

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
  • Username: Jeff_Speegle
    • http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/page2.html
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 02:24:21 am »
A few points.... yes dipped parts should be glossier than sprayed parts

Not sure if I missed it above but has anyone brought up the water and paint dipping process that many of the restorers are using?

Fill the container with water (lenght of part plus a few inches, add paint to the water, let it separate then dip the part into the paint in a slow smooth motion

Been discussed on a number of the other forums in the past five years