Author Topic: Frequently Asked Questions  (Read 7810 times)

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
    • Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Frequently Asked Questions
« on: November 14, 2003, 07:58:27 pm »
This post will be used to document answers to frequently asked questions. Please let me know via email if you see a question that comes up a lot or if you have additional information to add to an answer.

Why did my post get deleted?

Several of the sub-forums have specific posting rules that are intended to help keep similar topics grouped together. The rules can be found in either the descriptions of the forum on the main forum page or in topics at the top of the sub-forum. Please familiarize yourself with the rules before posting. The moderators may remove posts without warning if they believe a posting rule has been broken.

More specifically, these are the some of the situations that might result in a deleted post:

• Off-topic posting.
  • Personal attacks, vulgarity, profanity, or any other content that the moderators believe is inappropriate.
  • For sale ads that don't include an asking price.
  • Photo gallery posts of cars that haven't been registered.

I tried to register for the forum but it didn't work.  What happened?

The first and most important thing to remember is that you MUST provide a valid, working email address when you submit your registration request because the forum uses email to communicate with you.  The forum always confirms your request by sending you a mail note.  If you don't receive that note it's usually because the email address you provided isn't reachable.

All user registration requests are sent to one of the forum administrators for review and approval.  We do this to keep spammers out.  The administrator performs a couple of checks to validate your request:

• Your email address MUST be valid. Your request will be rejected if any of the email sent by the forum to your address bounces. You won't know about this, though, because we can't reach you via email. Please make sure you use a legitimate address that can receive email.
  • Each person is allowed to have only one forum account. Your request will be rejected if it appears to be an attempt to create a second account.
  • Requests coming from atypical places will sometimes produce a personal email from the admin asking you to describe your interest in the forum. Real people usually respond to those notes. Spammers don't. Your request will be rejected if a personal note is sent to you and you don't reply.

All approved registration requests will be confirmed with a second email from the forum.  You should be able to login after you receive the confirming email.  Your account will be removed if you register and then don't login to the forum within one month.

I forgot my forum user ID or password. What should I do?

If you know your user ID but forgot your password, you can have the forum software send your password to your registered email address. Look here for details:

http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?action=help;page=loginout

If you've forgotten your user ID I can still help. If you have an idea of what your ID was I can look for a match among the list of registered users. Once we figure out your ID you can recover your password using the method described above.

You can also create a new user ID and password whenever you wish, but please don't do that without trying to reclaim your old ID first. It can get confusing for people who come to know each other by their user IDs. Just ask; I'll be glad to help.

I've also noticed a lot of people creating accounts and then complaining that they're not "active".  Understand that you MUST provide a valid email address when you register because the forum software sends a confirmation message to that address.  You MUST complete the registration process by following the instructions in that note.  If you don't complete the process your account remains inactive.

I will delete accounts initially registered with an invalid email address.  I will also try to send you a private message if you change email addresses, your old one gets deactivated, and you forget to update your profile.  I won't remove your qccount in this situation, but please remember to check your PMs if you think you should be getting mail from the forum and you're not.

I own or am looking to buy a Cobra Jet Mustang. How much is it worth?

There is no perfect answer to this question. Value is very much a matter of condition, original equipment, race history, and where you live. A rust-free car will always be worth more than a rusty car if all else is equal, and a car missing original equipment will always be worth less than a car that's complete. If you want to get a feel for worth you might try looking at the classified ads in Hemmings Motor News, or check out national auction results in the magazines that publish such info.

Where can I find a <insert car or part name here>?

Check out the links page for pointers to trustworthy vendors and other online parts sources. You can also look at Hemmings Motor News.

I registered my car. How come I don't see it listed in the registry?

Please note that there is no complete registry listing published on the registry web site. There is a photo gallery of member vehicles, but registering your car doesn't get your car listed in the photo gallery -- you must also create one decent image and a paragraph or two describing your car. Instructions for creating a photo gallery page can be found here.

Chris and I have published a registry book containing information for every car that's been registered. Rest assured that your car is included in the registry once you've sent in your information.

Can you help me identify this <insert part name here>?

Maybe, but please look at the component identification pages first.

The pictures on your web site all look broken.  What's wrong?

I have the registry web server set up to prevent hotlinking.  One impact of this setup is that the server will reject any attempt to get images if the HTTP referrer field is blocked, masked, or otherwise hidden for "privacy" reasons.  Here's an example:

10.1.2.3 - - [08/Dec/2008:05:28:51 -0800] "GET /images/a-usa.gif HTTP/1.1" 403 1227 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

The referrer field is masked here with a "-".  Here's what it should normally look like:

10.1.2.3 - - [08/Dec/2008:05:28:51 -0800] "GET /images/a-usa.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 12532 "http://www.428cobrajet.org/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

Note that the "-" has been replaced with "http://www.428cobrajet.org/".

So how do you fix this?  You might need to talk to your ISP because they might be blocking referrer information.  It might also be blocked if you're running a security software package that blocks referrers for "privacy" reasons.  You might also check your web browser settings.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:10:04 pm by sah62 »
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 R-Code Mach 1
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
(more non-Ford stuff)