Author Topic: 1969 Mach 1 stripe fitting instructions!  (Read 5828 times)

Offline R Code

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
1969 Mach 1 stripe fitting instructions!
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:27:28 am »
Due to popular demand, I have decided to post the 1969 Mach 1 stripe fitting instructions. This is from a Mustang Monthly Febuary 1999.

Page 1:

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4887/size/big/cat/500/ppuser/859

Page 2:

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/data/500/69_Mach_1_stripe_install_p2.jpg

Page 3:

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/data/500/69_Mach_1_stripe_install_p3.jpg

Page 4:

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/data/500/69_Mach_1_stripe_install_p4.jpg

This is a brief summary:

This is an exert from the MM "How to" stripe a 69' Mach 1;

A common misconception is that the side stripes are straight and level with the rear side marker lights. Actually, they start at the rear and arc slightly downward before they move forward along the side. The downward arc is behind the rear wheel, and then does a level out and run parallel with the two body panel creases along both sides of the car. While the difference is subtle, the visual effect of the sweeping curve is more pleasing. Stripes that are installed "straight and level with the rear side lights," are almost 2 inches higher at the front than the original factory stripes!

The demensions identified here are approximate, measured along the curve of the body, and are based on the locations of cars measured with original factory stripes. Its always best carefully measure your original stripes before removing them.
The side stripes are actually three separate stripes-a wide center stripe with narrow stripes above and below. They are installed, and therefore are treated as one stripe. All side stripe demensions given are to the bottom of the lower narrow stripe, or the top of the upper stripe.
Now you're ready to tackle the rear fender. The position at the rear is determined by the side marker light which si surrounded by the rear portion of the stripe. Center the light bezel inside the "window" of the stripe, both top and bottom and front of the stripe is located 2 3/4" above the crease, measured perpendicular to the bottom front corner of the stripe. An alternative method for alignment of the stripe is too reference from the two small holes used to attach the bezel. A straight edge aligned with the theses holes identifies the downward angle of this stripe, and allows visual alignment with the stripes that are positioned lower, between the wheelwells. 

Some measurements quoted in this article:

* Rear Trunk lid measures up 3 5/8" from the bottom edge.

* The downward slant of the rear fender stripe should be positioned the bottom front corner 2 3/4" above lower body crease.

* The side stripe are reference off the body panel crease. In the area between the wheelwells, this is essentially straight and level with the ground, 3 1/4" above the bottom edge of the door. The top of the stripe is 6 1/2 " up from the crease at both the front and back of the door, and center the stripe along it's lenght. Since the stripe is narrower at the front and wider at the rear, remember to double check that it's oriented correctly.

* A sheet of paper laid flat on the body panel on the crease helps to accurately position the stripe. Normal Factory tolerances at the assembly plants resulted in location variations or up to 1/2" from car, and even side to side of the same car.

*Use the same procedure to locate the short stripe on the front fender, identified by the mach 1 label and rear wheelwell short stripe. Make sure they both alligned with the door stripe and leave 1/2" too wrap around the door edge opening. Stripes between the wheelwells are all 6 1/2" above the body crease.

Some tools to use:

* ruler

* Spray bottle filled with water and a few drops of dish soap.

* wax and grease remover.

* Chamois, squegee.

* Scissors, pencil and a roll of masking tape.

* Make sure panel alignment is as best as possible.

* Check stripes for condition and lay out in the sun until soft and pliable.

* remove old wax.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:10:09 pm by R Code »
Peter Manson

9R02R181708
special paint WT 7034 Green.

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=859

"one who asks a question is only a fool for 5 minutes! One who does not ask a question is a fool for life".

Offline fireball1962

• Shadetree Mechanic
Re: 1969 Mach 1 stripe fitting instructions!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:52:52 pm »
Great information. Thank you for taking the time to post it.......

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:17:57 pm »
My pleasure, it all for the cause ..... ;D ;)
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

"one who asks a question is only a fool for 5 minutes! One who does not ask a question is a fool for life".

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:54:48 pm »
The stripes do run in a straight as an arrow pattern as shown in the body assy manuals. I have seen variances from 3/8 per side diff. I ran across some dimensions I took off a pair of rusty original paint doors I bought for the bolt in glass setup years ago-late 1969 build with bolt in glass- a few months ago. As soon as my 1968 is up and running I am going to go thru my years of paperwork to get my notes in order. Another important note on stripe application goes to the cold climate boys; Fords docs note that the metal must be at least 60 degrees for proper adhesion. Gary
Note the stripes on my old car below. The dimensions were taken off the above mentioned doors. The only problem if you look closely is the "bow" in the stripe. This was a stripe flaw that there was nothing we could do about other than restriping and we just left it. The stripes follow the top body line.

1969 Mach1 R-code red 428SCJ 4 speed V-cod

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:46:13 am »
Gary, you know what that must be a drivers door thing. I had the same problem when idid my stripes. I left it thinking it is a factory stuff up!!  ;) ;D Nice old photo.
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 07:28:12 pm »
Gary,  in the article, the stripes in the centre of the door do run parralell to the door body line, but the ends don't? That is the problem people run the centre one level and the ends to match which give you the effect of the stripes running up hill!!!
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:25:51 am »
Gary,  in the article, the stripes in the centre of the door do run parralell to the door body line, but the ends don't? That is the problem people run the centre one level and the ends to match which give you the effect of the stripes running up hill!!!
Well regardless what an article says the factory manual shows the template for the stripes as being a straight line on the car. Look it up in the body assy manual or if you do not have one I can post the picture here. Seems to me the factory says its straight. But I would have to read it all. Sure looks like it in the pic that the fixture used is a straight line. The stripes above on the door were taken off  original doors' dimensions. The height varied side to side but the angle pitch didn't so I used that and I believe I made my stripes on the fender and quarters a straight line with the door. I did the same with my GT350. I have the original doors tucked away with the stripes still on them from the factory. And striping a mach1 is a walk in the park compared to doing a Shelby convertible. I know that from experience. Gary
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:30:06 am by shelbymann1970 »

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 07:40:15 am »
The articles measurements were also taken from a originl low mileage car, and i never trust factory manuals, way to much has been shown to be wrong. If you look at the images of what happens when you go srtaight accross the atripe sits WAY to high on th efront guards, it makes perfect sense to have the rear and front stripes slightly down.???
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

Offline thefordshow

• Fanatic!
  • fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 07:19:59 pm »
"Striping a mach1 is a walk in the park compared to doing a shelby convertible",..Gary you got that right! Used masking tape as a straight guide the full lenght of the car.Trying to get the stripe to go straight over the side scoop is a killer! had to do one stripe line at a time to make it look right.

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 03:35:46 am »
"Striping a mach1 is a walk in the park compared to doing a shelby convertible",..Gary you got that right! Used masking tape as a straight guide the full lenght of the car.Trying to get the stripe to go straight over the side scoop is a killer! had to do one stripe line at a time to make it look right.
The side convertible scoops are the worst scoop EVER to stripe bar none. As for the Mach1 stripes. The car above was striped to factory dimensions off original doors and all the stripes(door, fender, front rear) were laid out in a stright line. No angled stripes. I have done a few Mach1s and have NEVER angled any stripes nor do I recommend it. Proof is in the picture above. Does the stripe look OK? disreguard that slight defect in the door curvature. Do as you like. Mine works for me. Gary

Offline mike

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 01:01:45 am »
It is my understanding from what I have read about on the article and from the person that did my stripes with the M.M. article that it is wrong.I dont have it in front of me now but I do remember looking what they wrote and it was off.